Friday 17 July 2020

THE 'TOP 10' TALK

"Who's in your top 10?" ... This is a question I'm often asked, so I thought I'd drop my list, but before I get into my favourite/most listened to MC's, I think it's important to remember that a Top 10 list is going to be compiled of MC's that have had the most personal impact on the listener, also that the list of favourites can be completely different to your 'GOAT' list and finally to remember that the list can change over a period of time.

My Top Ten:

10: 50 Cent (Joint No.10 Spot)

Debut: 1999
Crew: G-Unit
I'm sure a few eyebrows have already raised seeing 50 on my top ten list. I'll be the first to admit that he is far from a top tier lyricist but he sure knows how to make good songs and good music. 50 has the amazing ability to merge mainstream pop and underground gangster rap all while keeping you highly entertained. His beefs and battles have been amongst the most talked about in rap. 50 has had an unexplainable way of retaining my attention over the years. He has a dope voice and a confidence that lifts each track he's on. Apart from the late, great Nate Dogg, in my opinion, no one is better in the hook department than 50 and this all adds to the ever so important replay value of his catalogue for me.
Recommended: "Get Rich or Die Tryin'"


10: Styles P (Joint No.10 Spot)
Debut: 1996
Crew: The LOX/D-Block
Styles is probably the newest addition to my top 10 list. He consistently drops quality projects while staying relevant without losing that initial hard-core appeal that we all loved when he dropped with The L.O.X over 20yrs ago. Styles has developed lyrically and musically over the years and has some of the most iconic features, guest spots and verses in hip hop. His opening bars for Jay Z's "Reservoir Dogs" Remains one of my favourite verse openings to this day. Its great to see Styles' growth and maturity but angry styles will always be a favourite for my playlists.
Recommended: "A Gangster and a Gentleman" 


09: Nas

Debuted: 1991
Crew: Bravehearts/The Firm
Nas is definately one of the few rappers who is usually a guaranteed entry for most hip hop fans top 10 MCs list, infact most would probably have him as top 5. Nas shocked the world with his arrival in the game and arguably has one of the best debut albums in Hip Hop with Illmatic. Nas is one of the best storytellers in hip hop with a skill that is undeniable. Nas continues to impress with quality releases 30+ years after his debut.
Recommended: "It Was Written"


08: Kool G Rap
Debut: 1988
Crew: DJ Polo/Juice Crew
When it comes to straight rapping, lyrical ability and flow, this man may arguably wear the crown. G Rap was a dope rapper on Road To Riches but by the time Wanted Dead or Alive dropped he was a different animal. His solo debut 4,5,6 is a stand out project which demonstrates G Rap's raw ability even further. Even in 2021, G Rap can rap circles around most in the game and still has me screwing up my face in appreciation of his lyrical ability. The voice of a MC plays a huge part for me when it comes to enjoying their music. Kool G Rap having his dope voice and iconic lisp adds to the strength of his delivery. Mr Mafioso himself is a literal staple in the hip hop community. 
Recommended: "Wanted Dead or Alive"


07: Rakim
Debut: 1986
Crew: Eric B
Im sure most would agree if I were to say that the joining factor between the old school and the new school isn't a date or a time... but it's none other than Rakim himself. In an era when flow and rhyme patterns might not have been the most important thing in hip hop, Rakim came and proved otherwise. If your a fan of hip-hop, lyricsm and this culture on a whole it's impossible to not see the influence Rakim has had on MC's that have come after him from the likes of Jay Z to Eminem to Big Punisher and many others. Rakim is a force and a talent that always has me in awe. Simplicity riddled with complexity is how I'd describe Rakim's rhyme pattern. One that stands as a bench mark for excellence.
Recommended: "Paid in Full"


06: DMX
Debut: 1994
Crew: Ruff Ryders
The Dark Man has had a rough go of things due to a number of personal struggles but very few can boast of the impact he had on the scene at his peak. DMX has the ability to speak on any topic and force you to believe every word he says. His conviction and passion on the mic is one only a few others share. It got to a point for me when I saw X featured on any track I HAD to hear it. His flow, pitch & voice is perfectly used while seemingly batterling with good and evil over the beat. Not many can successfully relay the battles they are facing within, without seeming disconnected but X did this perfectly on his albums, especially with The Prayer series and his Damien series.
Recommended: "It's Dark & Hell is Hot"


05: Big Pun
Debut: 1995
Crew: Terror Squad
Yes he only has two albums and yes only one of them is a classic but Big Pun is a different type of beast on the Mic. An MC you can bet will destroy any track he's featured on. Pun has it all... Humour, flow, content etc. He can drop gangster rap then turn around and flip the perfect radio friendly track. Some rappers are simply blessed with an ability to rap at a level that just seems to be beyond the norm, Pun is one of those rappers. To this day I listen to Pun verses and shake my head in disbelief. His death was, and still is, a huge loss to hip hop.
Recommended: "Capital Punishment"


04: Notorious B.I.G
Debut: 1993
Crew:  Junior Mafia
You are very likely to see Biggie on majority of peoples top 10 lists which is an amazing achievement considering he only had two official albums and a few guest verses. Similar to Big Pun, Biggie had the ability to cover all bases with his music. Arguably one of the best flows in hip hop and his writing ability gave clout to nearly every one in his crew. The lyrical growth that we witnessed from Ready to Die up to his untimely death shows that BIG was an exceptional MC and was only getting better. A true rags to riches story... or better yet, to quote the man himself... an Ashy to classy story.
Recommended: "Life After Death"


03: Ghostface Killah 
Debut: 1993
Crew: Wu-Tang Clan
Ghostface burst on to the scene as a member of one of the greatest rap groups of all time and immediately stood out by keeping his face covered and having a dope flow and energy that he has managed to maintain for well over 20 years. For me, Ghostface is one of the best storytellers in hip hop, he paints pictures so vividly you feel like your right there with him, he highlights points that most would simply over look and has the ability to make you want to laugh, reflect and rewind all at the same time. Ghost seems to almost have his own language and slang, that mixes in with an incredible voice, flow and delivery. Most would agree that Ghost has one of the strongest catalogues in hip hop. 
Recommended: "Supreme Clientele"


02: 2Pac

Debut: 1991
Crew: Outlawz
I have Pac as No.2 but very often I toy with the idea of giving him that No.1 spot. In my opinion, Pac is the most relatable MC I have encountered, not in the sense of sharing same experiences but in the sense of being able to communicate pain, passion, love and even hate in such a way that rather than contradicting himself, he actually shows the balance of the human heart. I usually try to separate the artist's life from their music but with Pac it's impossible. He was so much more than a rapper. Interviews that surface 25 years after his death, show pure signs of brilliance and a mind way beyond his years. To this day he is arguably the most iconic rapper there ever was. If I was told I could only listen to one rapper again for the rest of my life- I'd choose Pac.
Recommended: "Me Against the World"


01: Jay-Z

Debut: 1995
Crew: Roc-A-Fella artists 
The first track I ever heard from Jay was "Dead Presidents" (OG version) and I was instantly hooked. The ability to tell such a vivid account over that masterfully constructed Lonnie Liston sample took my young mind to another planet and it stayed in regular rotation from it's release. Jay's ability to display visuals through graphic rhymes is almost cinematic. His charisma, confidence & ability to cleverly provide music for the street, radio, clubs, girls etc... has caused him to remain relevant for over 20 years with a very impressive catalogue. Jay has dope wordplay and can come from any angle needed; whether Coke rap, bravado or story telling- he knows how to deliver.
Recommended: "Reasonable Doubt"

Those are my 10 favourite rappers; who over the years have retained my interest, stayed in rotation and have made a huge impact on the relationship I have with Hip-hop.

THIS IS MY GOAT LIST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

NAS
LL COOL J
KOOL G RAP
KRS ONE
CHUCK D
2PAC
ICE CUBE
RAKIM
JAY Z
SCARFACE

The 'Top 10' Talk.... In The Spotlight 

2 comments: